Wednesday 23 March 2011

Farewell

Incredible India


So the time came to bid farewell to India, what an incredible 10 months it has been! Leaving as abruptly as I arrived by taking a flight on the spur of the moment seemed absolutely the right way to end my journey.  This experience started out as an exciting work opportunity.  In his regard, my expectations of being an IVC for DiA were certainly met and exceeded with the additional responsibility of taking on the role and India volunteer programme solo.

Upon reflection, the varied and chaotic months not only presented an interesting new work ethic but also provided a period of personal growth, mental stimulation and letting go of barriers which had been holding me back for far too long.

Little by little, whether it be an overnight train or bus journey, cycling around on a Ladybird push-bike, sitting on the back of an Enfield or simply stomping around by foot, I progressively explored a fraction of some of India's stunning states which I felt very privileged to be in a position to do.  Not only did I uncover lush landscapes such as beaches, backwaters and rocky hills, I also learnt more about different styles of yoga whenever the opportunity arose and most importantly developed an increased awareness of my capabilities.



It was as if being in India had given me a freedom pass to be the person I am comfortable expressing, without judgement.  It did help being part of the several groups comprising of my volunteers and in turn being introduced into their social networks.  For a period of time it was fun hopping from one group to another with intermittent gaps of solitude which were sometimes needed.

The thing about India which is what struck me the first time I visited as a naive gap year teen, is the constant paradoxes that remind me of why I was drawn to coming again and most likely will revisit over and over.  Let me not get into the bartering culture which quite frankly despite being a hassle I always actually enjoyed.  The infamous head wobble became incorporated into my method of communication and despite not spending enough time in each state to get a good grasp of the multitude of languages, I can say that I have gained a much deeper comprehension of how things do/don't work in India to get by.  Do not search for explanations, just accept and whether you like it or not most Indians will have a very big smile on their faces the most I have seen of any culture.

Of course I experienced major highs and lows, this is natural in a country of extremes with less boundaries in some respects but restrictions evident in the form of hardships which were at times difficult to witness.  During my time in India, I was surprised at the extent of change the country appeared to have undergone which I found very impressive.  However always in the backstreets, a slum on the outskirts and a small rural settlement away I was reminded of the stark inequalities that exist within a society where the caste system still prevails.

From the NGO side of the experience, I am glad I was able to infiltrate the several different grassroots establishments: Sharana, Volontariat, DGA and Seva Mandir which are all conducting fantastic development related projects which has inspired me to pursue more involvement in local organisations as opposed to the larger agencies who grab all of the media attention.  I have learnt to relax my ideals and aim to assist where relevant  organisations who are really working for their people and have the local knowledge necessary for successful programmes.  I remember in my degree theorising participatory development and indigenous knowledge which I am still very much an advocate of today.  I may not be qualified or required to work directly on community initiatives and with the beneficiaries but I at least know now that rather than sitting at a desk and feeling like one small part of a big machine, I need to do something more pro-active, hands-on and face-to-face.  I am a people's person not a, I want to engage with communities groups of varying nationalities, cultures and social backgrounds whether it be whilst travelling, working overseas, or even in my local supermarket.

India holds a very special place within my soul, it touches me in a way that I probably will not fully appreciate for a while yet but I sense that I cannot ignore the affinity I have to this raw and charming country.  There are many aspects of India which are love-able and simultaneously off-putting, that is the beauty of it and the people within this special land.


Thank you for everything: I have laughed, cried and loved intensely, travelled exhaustively, wandered independantly, lost and re-awakened myself several times over but never have I felt so alive...only in India.

Om shanti














To learn more about volunteering in India or becoming an IVC with DiA: www.developmentinaction.org










No comments:

Post a Comment