Monday 10 January 2011

Hampi as can be...

Hampi - October

The initial scenery was already impressive, an incredible amount of boulders scattered everywhere! It took a little while to find the right place but in the end I settled for a nice room in the quieter backstreets, the view was what won me over as from my bed I could see the river, rockscape and plush palm trees...


The first three days I spent doing some hardcore sightseeing of the ruins of the Vijayanagar Empire, temples of all shapes and sizes not to mention the amazing scenery on the walks and cycles to each monument – truly breathtaking and like nothing I have ever seen. Wildlife here is active with plenty of monkeys, parrots, toads, lizards and a surprising amount of sheep! Hampi is so rich in history and natural beauty, it is perfect for those seeking both cultural and spiritual exploration. Everywhere you look there is something to discover and at the same time it is a great place for respite. Hampi Bazaar is small enough to feel like part of a community and as a whole big enough to disappear and lose yourself amongst the rocks.The only qualm I have is the hassle, like in all tourist trail destinations, the incessant hollering from shop-keepers, stall sellers, guides, guide-bookers, mappers and worst of all the families at every sight requesting photographs. There are only so many times I can take being asked for my picture from complete strangers who most of the time are laughing at me whilst doing so, so NO! It occurred to me how people living in the public eye must feel, whilst it is flattering it is also hard constantly saying no but it is not possible to pose for every photo. Catching people taking pictures from every angle whenever setting foot outside is very disturbing. That's all.

Regardless, I could happily stay in Hampi for a longer period of time perhaps over the river where one is more submersed into the landscape if I really want total peace. This is remarkably the first time I have slept soundly, it is a statisfying feeling to be physically tired from doing outdoor activities in pretty intense heat which I actually enjoyed after being in cooler Pondy.

It was noticeable to me that this is a dry state, no alchohol means people entertain themselves differently in the evenings such as strolling around, watching the sunset and relaxing in the numerous restaurants with cosy floor-seating areas some with occassional live music. I enjoyed going to the Virupaksha Temple one night, the darkness gave it a different vibe and it was much more atmospheric with the puja taking place and elephant wandering around. On my last night I came across a wedding celebration in the main bazaar, where I witnessed lively drumming and dancing taking place all the way along the path to my guest-house...perfect ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment